Katharine Hepburn: Always Up

Katharine Hepburn, captured by Cornel Lucas, 1956.


Interview with Katharine Hepburn

New York City

1990

My father thought that I was a complete fool when I said I wanted to be an actress. He thought it was a total waste of a good mind, and an invitation to a bad life. I was told that I had been raised to read and think and defend my opinions, and here I was heading into a profession one tiny step up from prostitution. But I did it.

My mother wanted me to be happy, to be fulfilled, and mothers are apt to display this feeling more often and more easily. Still, she wanted me to be careful. Both of my parents decided they would not support me when I came to New York to study and try to have a go at it all. When I was most desperate, and really wanted to study, for instance--I never asked for money for food or clothes or all that; I could go without those--I would write to my father, and he would send me whatever he had earned playing golf or cards or money he claimed he had found lying around. Dirty money, he said. Found money.

But I believed in myself, and I kept at it, and I worked to be as good as I could, and in the back of my mind was this lack of support, this harsh opinion of my trade, and I decided that I was going to be the kind of person who helped other people overcome what their parents or friends or teachers had told them, and I was stunned to hear what some of the most wonderful people had been told.

There is so much talent out there--so many wonderful people--and they operate under a heavy load of absolute bunk about themselves. All of us need to chisel away at these false beliefs, these negative, hateful opinions. I was tough with a lot of people, but I loved them. I did. I felt it was as important that I let them know they were good and needed as it was for me to give a good performance. I felt responsible for everyone. I tried not to boss people around, but my nature is bossy, so, you know, to hell with it. But I meant well. I loved those people, and I hope I let them know how valuable they were, how much they could do, how important this business is.

My father ultimately came around--he had respect for my work ethic, my ability to make money and take care of myself and do what I damned well wanted. He also knew that I was the daughter of my parents, and I was there helping people move up and along. But even if people in your life don't come around, don't respect you, you just have to believe in yourself, keep going, keep working. If I'm around, I'll push you along.

Up! Always up! 


©2021 James Grissom

Comments

Popular Posts