Tennessee Williams on Elvis Presley: Most Gallant




Interview with Tennessee Williams
Conducted by James Grissom
New Orleans
1982
#FolliesOfGod


He was the most gallant of men. So beautiful but bashful, almost servile in his display of respect. He treated my mother like a queen, and she, of course, loved it. He was very nice to me, and displayed a knowledge of my work that surprised me.

His kindness was so lovely--so lovingly conveyed--that I did not apply any sexual power to his beauty. 

We both loved our mothers, and I think the kindest men have a strong relationship with their mothers. I am led to believe that Elvis had a loving mother, a warm embrace. I did not have that with Edwina, but I loved and needed her.

My last conversation with Elvis--in a hallway of Sterno and sweat--was about our mothers and about Mary Baker Eddy: Elvis was looking to Christian Science, and had heard that I dabbled in it. He was destroying himself and wanted to be saved.

I understand this completely, but where were the kind people he deserved?




©  2019  James Grissom

Comments

Popular Posts