Katharine Hepburn on SUMMERTIME: No Nonsense, Just Talent

Katharine Hepburn on the set of David Lean's Summertime (1955).



Interview with Katharine Hepburn
Conducted by James Grissom
New York City
1990


I don't know what my best work is. It's not for me to say, is it? I can always see what's wrong with me--as a woman, an an actress, as a worker--so I can't really see the work. Other people get to say if I'm good or not, but only I can say if I'm going to keep at it, and I'm going to keep at it. I'm going to get better.

All I can really say or remember is when I was used most effectively. Pushed. Goaded toward things I had never considered or accomplished. I think Summertime finds me pushed the farthest, and with intelligence. David Lean is remarkably intelligent, a brilliant filmmaker. Tough. He never let up on me. I felt pushed in other films, of course, but if you want to see me being very carefully and completely challenged--pushed into corners I don't always choose--it would have to be that film, with Lean.

There was no nonsense, just talent. Just persistent talent.


©  2017  James Grissom

Comments

Popular Posts