Marlon Brando: The Truth of Things




Interview with Marlon Brando
Conducted by James Grissom
By Telephone
1990

When people tell you they're pursuing their truth or finding their place, they are really telling you that they want very much to get rich or high or laid. Very few people really want to get to the truth of things because the truth of things is very hard, a real cross to bear. What people really want is to pursue things that help them avoid the truth. This is true of me. This is true of everyone. I could not communicate so well in life, but within a part, I was lucid and comfortable. That is my truth, and my truth is role-playing, which is a form of denial. We call our desires truth because we want to be seen as honest; we want to be seen as adults. But we're just kids putting out heads beneath expensive and shiny blankets. We're not heading toward any truths.


©  2014  James Grissom

Comments

Popular Posts