John Gielgud: Your Soul Begins to Expand

John Gielgud on the set of Arthur in 1980/Dustin Pittman



Interview with John Gielgud
Conducted by James Grissom
Via Telephone
1991


I am no longer afraid of time, even if I am baffled and dismayed by what it is so often doing to me and my friends. We can't defeat time, but we can embrace it. So much shrinks as you get older--opportunities, mobility, memory--but your soul begins to expand. You are forced, or at least I have been forced, to look inward, to reflect, and I'm quite happy with it. I don't think I'm resigned to age and limitation, but I do think I'm able to find the blessings within it. I wasn't always good at finding the blessings, and age has taught me that. There's a lesson and a blessing everywhere, and solitude is a treasure.


©  2014   James Grissom

Comments

Popular Posts