Tenn on Fellini: The Glorious Act of Telling A Story



Interview with Tennessee Williams
Conducted by James Grissom
New Orleans
1982


I was seduced by his films, and each and every one of them fill me with extraordinary anxiety--I want to get up and find a blank piece of paper and begin writing immediately. He taps into my memory and my love of words and visuals and the glorious act of telling a story. We are here--all of us--to tell a story; to bear witness; to help each other get along. He also taught me that we grieve and we fall apart; we eat and we love and we transgress and we have rapprochement; we fall away from our friends and family and from God, and then we pray and we are bonded yet again with all that matters in life. There is a cycle to life; there are patterns. All of Fellini's films celebrate this pattern of life and our roles within it. I love him so much--personally and as an artist. He was never so productive that he couldn't help me to see what I should be doing.


© 2014 James Grissom

Comments

Popular Posts